Holgate Grammar School

The old school was founded by Thomas Keresforth in 1660 and was situated opposite St Mary's Church on Church Street in Barnsley. In 1887 the Grammar School founded by Archbishop Holgate in the 16th Century at Hemsworth was combined with the Barnsley school.

In 1911 there were 203 boys in attendance and it was realised that the old school did not have adequate room or equipment to accommodate all those who wished to attend.

In 1911 a modern new school building in Shaw lane was built at a cost of between £14,000 and £15,000 to accommodate 300 scholars. There were 12 classrooms, laboratories for chemistry and physics, a large assembly hall, dining room, gymnasium and library. 

The school was opened on January 23rd 1912 by the Archbishop of York. Among those present were the Mayor of Barnsley (Mr J.H. Cotterill), Mr E. Talbot (Chairman of the Higher Education Committee of the County Council), Mr W.E. Raley (Chairman of the Barnsley Education Committee), Archdeacon Donne, Archdeacon Norris, Canon Hervey, The Rev. C.S. Butler (headmaster), Dr. J.H. Horne, Mr E.G. Lancaster, Mr R. Bury, and Mr G.B. Walker.

Information above from the Yorkshire Post 24th January 1912. 


Schools
Webpage icon St Augustine's School
Bookmark and Share