Parish Hall

Photograph with thanks to James Corbett

St Edward's Parish Hall was located on the corner of Cranbrook Street and Racecommon Road in Barnsley. Demolished many years ago,  six town houses have been built on the site.

The Parish Hall cost £3,000 to build and was paid for from public subscription and a generous donation from E. George Lancaster of Keresforth Hall who offered to give £50 for every £100 raised by the congregation.  At a bazaar opened by Lady Sutherland in November 1929 in aid of the proposed new hall, he also promised to give a further £500  when the amount necessary for the hall had been raised.

The congregation were eager to start the building work once £1,900 had been raised and were keen that Mr Lancaster should be the one to lay the foundation stone. However, Mr Lancaster insisted that the hall should be opened free from debt, as St Edward's Church had been 27 years ago, and so building commenced rather later than anticipated .

The foundation stone was laid by Mr Lancaster's sister Mrs Fanny Shaw on 16th July 1931 and the hall was opened by E. George Lancaster and consecrated on 29th October 1931 by the Bishop of Wakefield, the Reverend James Buchanan Seaton.

The service took place in St Edward's Church and afterwards the choir, clergy, officials and congregation went in procession to the Parish Hall whilst singing the hymn 'Onward Christian Soldiers.' 

On reaching the door, the architect handed the key to Mr Lancaster who opened the door.

In 1989 the Hall was completely restored and the cellar, which had been flooded for 30 years, was pumped out and lined with latex and concrete. 

The dedication programme can be viewed here and photographs are here.


Maps and Buildings
Webpage icon Methodist Chapel
Webpage icon Maps
Bookmark and Share