Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Kingstone

Primitive Methodist Chapel Keresforth Hall Road Kingstone

Photograph thanks to James Corbett.

The Kingstone Place Primitive Methodist Chapel, Keresforth Hall Road, Barnsley, stood on land purchased from Mr F.W.T.V. Wentworth who was a contributor to the building fund. The chapel was also intended to be used as a school and accommodated about one hundred people. It cost about £400. 

Mr Alderman Charles Brady laid the foundation stone on 10th October 1876 and placed £25 upon it. Several other people laid bricks in various parts of the building and Mr Payne and Mr Buckley placed £10 each on two bricks and thirteen others £8 amongst them. It was reported that the chapel was to be used as a preaching place in lieu of meetings that had previously been held in cottages. A tea and public meeting followed the ceremony. (Information from the Sheffield Independent 11 October 1876.)

The chapel closed on 27th November 1994 and pew runners were donated to St Edward's Church. The chapel is now a private residence.

 


Maps and Buildings
Webpage icon Maps
Webpage icon Parish Hall
Bookmark and Share